Monday, December 27, 2004

You've already won me over, in spite of me

There are a couple of things in the world that make me really happy.

1. Nothing in my life so far compares to the feeling that I get every time I drive north on Granville Street in the late afternoon, pass over the hill around 16th ave, and see the sun setting against downtown, as this pictures manages to capture from almost exactly the same place I drove by:




It was such a clear, beautiful day out today - 13 degrees - and you could see forever. The ocean seemed even more expansive than usual. This made me very happy.

2. Waking up after a fantastic sleep, circa noon, and finding my favorite person online. That makes me really happy. Having a great conversation with him is just an added bonus - I just love the rush of knowing that he's there.

3. In case you don't know me, I live and breath for music, and it gets worse every day. There is NOTHING that I love more, or that makes me happier, than to get into my mom's car, put in my favorite tunes, and drive for hours. I hate that no matter where I am, there's always someone telling me to turn it down - my parents, my housemates, even the people who live next door. But when I'm in my car, my music can be so loud that it fills me completly ... god, does that make me happy. It doesn't hurt that my favorite radio station today played a killer string of songs ...
Paradise City / GNR
I Love Rock and Roll / Joan Jett
Satisfaction / the Stones
Vertigo/ U2
Waterloo Sunset / the Kinks

So I was singing, drumming on the wheel, shifting gears and basically just driving like a prostar and smiling my face off. And to top it all off, the good boys at the Fox 99.6 decided to change it up, and with an unprecedented decision, played an Alanis classic - Head over Feet.

I don't know about you, but I know every word of that song, every little Alanis grunt and sigh. And given the recent events in my life, I put this baby on full blast, and sang along. There was nothing else to do. And I KNOW it's sappy, and I KNOW it's cheezy ... but it also makes me feel pretty great inside.

4. I thought that the goodness in my day couldn't get any better, but no - I was wrong. I got home, and had an email waiting from my favorite prof, signed "Love Judy". Now, Judy could just be in a good mood. Judy could be mistaking me for someone else. Frankly, it doesn't matter - knowing that your prof, (who I IDOLIZE by the way) thinks enough of you to sign her email "love"? That was the icing on the proverbial good day cake.

Flip me over - I'm done :)


No comments: