Saturday, March 04, 2006

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

I was riding the streetcar home from Steve's house today (after an unexpected night off from work, which resulted in me lounging, eating pizza and going to bed early), and something really nice happened, although it took me a while to notice it. I flashed my metropass at the driver when I boarded, as per usual and to no unusual response; whenever someone tried to pay cash, use a ticket or use a token, however, the streetcar driver held his hand over the collection box and said "free today". People would insist - here's my money! And the driver simply refused to take it. "I'm telling you - get on, and keep your money - you'll need it for something else today!" About half way though the ride, I navigated up to the front of the car and asked him "is the TTC running a promotion today?"

"Nope", he replied, cranking the wheel to turn on to Carlton Street

"Are any other street cars free?" I asked.

"No, just me". He was jovial, almost laughing to himself. We picked up another few passengers, all of who were allowed to board without paying.

"Are you going to get in trouble for this?" I was worried. I am always worried about people getting into trouble.

"How could this," he said as he gestured at the people riding the car, "be trouble?"

I looked back at the passengers, who were smiling, laughing with each other, and trying to guess why they were allowed to keep their two dollars and fifty cents. There were old Portuguese men, street roamers with dreadlocks, little old ladies with crocheted hats, students, a plumber on the way to a job -- the people of Toronto who needed that money the most. The mood was almost giddy. There was camradarie between people who usually wouldn't make eye contact with each other. Every time someone else was denied fare, we all laughed out loud. For whatever reason, the streetcar driver decided to do what he could for us. When I got off at College and Spadina, the air seemed a little less cold, the sun felt wonderful, and I smiled knowingly at the people getting on the streetcar - their days would be better too. Somethings you don't see very often, but they're certainly worth noting when you do.

No comments: