Saturday, March 18, 2006

That Was Rewarding

I've been an avid member of the Shoppers Optimum and the Airmiles Reward Miles bandwagons for at least the last 6 years or so. It makes sense, right? You earn points for spending money at places you're probably already going to spend it, and redeem them for rewards at a later date. I've already gotten a 75$ shopping spree from Shoppers and lots (lots!) of movie gift certificates from Airmiles (which doesn't really matter now that I'm banned from Blockbuster, now does it?)

Tonight, because I'm sick with the flu and can't sleep, I joined the HBC rewards program. It looked good - 50 reward miles for every dollar I spend at the bay. Yahoo! But then I checked out the rewards:

Get this. If I wanted to get a 14 piece knife set, I would need to redeem 1,200,000 points ... the equivelent of spending TWENTY FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS at the Bay. Or Zellers. That's kind of pointless, don't you think? I mean, I buy my bras and underwear there, but that's gonna take freakin' years. I'm kind of depressed, actually. I don't even need a knife set.

3 comments:

Lord Sidious said...

I'm racking my brain to figure out exactly Bri Johnson gets "banned from Blockbuster". What exactly could you have done? :P

beautiful cynic said...

Maybe if you didn't buy the cheap-o bras and underwear you'd accumulate rewards points faster.

Gavin27 said...

Banned from Blockbuster? oh this sounds good.
PS. Hope your mouth is better, its too bad we didn't get to meet when I was in TO last month.