Friday, March 04, 2005

the greatest gift

I have written, if I remember correctly, about some of the worst gifts I (or anyone) could imagine receiving. But recalling the best gift anyone has ever given me is a different story all together, and the winner isn't an obvious choice; however, there is something that I'd be inclined to attach the title of 'best' to.

It was July 15th, 1993 -- my tenth birthday. My dad bought me one thing that stands out above the baby-sitter's club books and clothing from Gap kids ... a huge book, entitled "The Fitzhenry and Whiteside Book of Quotations". I hated it, at first. I didn't even know what a quotation was. The book got stashed on a shelf in my room and I gave very little thought to it for a couple of years.

But as I got older, I started going back to it. I found quotations for essays, assignments and projects. I found quotations for birthday cards, for letters -- for celebrating successes and for comforting friends and for encouraging people I loved. I found quotations for diary entries, and quotations to help me focus my day, my month, my year. My 11 year old copy of the book is now tattered, ear-marked, high lighted and scribbled in. There are stars next to some entries, others are circled. A few pages are missing at the back, where I needed paper to write down a friend's phone number while I was on the bus in high school. And in retrospect (although I could have never predicted it at the time), it was the best present I've ever been given. My dad, for all that we struggle, must have known something that I couldn't have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I see in your writing today brings a tremendous amount of joy to my heart. You are beginning to let go of your hurt and anger...moving forward with special memories. When you can see the beauty in spite of all the tragedy you are growing. Everything is going to alright...because of you and your amazing strength and resolve. I too am growing thanks to you. I really love you. Mom.