Monday, March 21, 2005

breaking up is hard to do

My friend Talia (well, Steve's friend Talia, but her and I really hit it off) got a letter today from who is now her ex-boyfriend, saying that their long-distance relationship is now officially over. He's just not that into her. The funny thing is, she wasn't really sure if he was into her or not -or even if he was still her BOYFRIEND- because he had neglected to talk to her for two weeks, claiming that things had been a bit 'off', while she was left to sit and ponder the state of a relationship where "I love you"s had only recently been gifted. And at first I thought my whole heart was gonna break for her, but now I'm just plain mad.

Before I go off on some feminist rant about how "all men are jerks" (and really - who am I kidding? I myself am madly in love with one), I just want to say that I really hope that there are more good people out there than bad ones. I don't know how any of us trust each other anymore, when everyone pretty much has the capability and apparently the will to destroy each other. Why trust at all? It's a non-issue for me -- I trust people pretty implicitly, I tend to think, but it does make me question the world, when someone can tell you that they love you and then completly destroy you one week later. Does something not make sense there to anyone else? Or maybe love, like marriage has gone the way of ICQ -- somewhere deep in our collective memory, but ceasing to *really* exist.

Look at how cynical I can be! It all just makes me so disappointed. I am more resolved today to treat the people that I care about, nay - even the people that I don't much like, with the respect and consideration that they deserve.

Which means no more gossip. *Sigh*.

No comments: