Thursday, March 17, 2005

the fast and the furious

I completly forgot to mention - I got hit by a car today! I was trying to cross University Ave from the library to the JDUC, and did the whole 'look both ways: safey deal. But no one tells you to look for cars driving in reverse, do they? Specifically, there was a car parked on the side of the road and as I went to cross behind it (assuming he would either remain parked or drive forward), he shot it into reverse and ran into me. Not only was I shocked, the suddeness of the impact knocked me off of my feet and I slipped on the ice and under the back of the car, as he was backing up, slamming my hand down on the lid to try to get him to stop. Breaks sqealed, the idiot jumped out and apologized, I lay onI my back on University and union for a minute, and then life resumed as usual.

I wonder if that counts as a brush with death. I didn't feel peaceful, or see stars or anything, so I guess not. I'm a bit disappointed - I always assumed that getting hit by a car would be a more dramatic story. It was definitely the scariest thing that's ever happened to me on a routine walk on campus, though.

I just wish that I could have dented the trunk of the guy's Lexus. Then it REALLY would have been a story.

No comments: