Saturday, March 26, 2005

bri 101

A brief conversation with Steve about movie quotes tonight -- I was interested in what he would come up with if I asked him for the first three movie quotes that he could think of. I would actually be interested in anyone's top three movie quotes; why do we keep some in our heads and not others?

Mine are, for the record:

"You had me at hello"

"truth, beauty, freedom, and above all else, love"

"I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"

(from Jerry Maguire, Moulin Rouge and Steel Magnolias, respectively)


But if you want a quote that really defines me, or helps you to understand who I am in some small way, it's this one, lifted from "Dead Poet's Society"

We don't read and write poety because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race; and the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering -- these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life, but poetry, beauty, romance, love -- these are what we stay alive for"

No comments: