Sunday, April 23, 2006

Procrastination makes it happen

I made a pact with the big guy that if I got into Teacher's College at U of T this year, I wouldn't pull a single all-nighter in a desperate attempt to get an assignment done the night before it was due. And I really plan on standing by this - I mean, he made good on his promise to me; it's the least I can do in return.

That doesn't mean, however, that the dirty habit of procrastination doesn't still live inside of me.

Two weeks ago, a tiny red flower in my neighbor's yard pushed its way out of the cold, frozen, barren, toxic Toronto soil. I was in awe, as I am every year, of the amazing power of nature; how things grow and survive in the strangest little worlds. Every morning, I would greet my tiny red little friend, growing alone in a garden that still appeared to be in winter mode. I decided that I would photograph the flower as the first sign of spring, post it in my blog, and continue to make posts as tulips and weeds and daffodils began to bloom in the houses on my street. A photoblog on spring.

Now, two... maybe three weeks later, ALL of the flowers, trees and plants are in full bloom. The red flower has died, already completing its miniature life cycle. And I still haven't taking a single freaking picture. It might as well be winter again for all I care, because I just can't seem to live up to my own big plans. Please just imagine how nice my little street is now with green buds on all the trees and floppy daffodils in every front yard, and imagine what a total reject I feel when I leave my house every morning, sans camera, and walk by all these plants that I planned on photographing. And if the plants aren't mocking me, well - I'm sure you will be.

Maybe next spring, I'll get around to those pictures :)

1 comment:

girl said...

Bri!

Hey, I totally have been reading your blog, but suck at leaving comments - yeah, Ben Folds is gonna rock but it looks like I've now managed to convince 2 other people to come, one of which has a car - so got it covered!

When are you guys heading down, etc?