Friday, October 13, 2006

A Prayer for Wild Thing Willy

A few weeks ago I was settling down into my luxurious bed for a long and refreshing sleep. I plumped my pillows. I got my feet all cozy. I tucked in my legs. I stretched up to the ceiling with my fingers. And then, I watched as something the size of a very small dog venture out from underneath my dresser and scuttle across the floor to the small space behind my desk and under the heating vent. This thing was huge. I wasn't even sure that it wasn't some sort of alien. I decided not to go after it. In fact, I decided to shake out my sheets and blankets in a panicked frenzy while screaming and spinning around, terrified that my visitor may have brought friends. I then created a "giant beast" seal in my covers, sectioning myself off from all the awful arachnids waiting to attack me in my sleep.

Weeks past. Today I came home from class and while dropping my bag on my bed, the little bugger decided to make another appearance. He casually crawled out from under my dresser (which I can only assume has been his home for quite some time) right between my feet. I finally got a good look at him. I watched him pause. "You little fucker. That's it fucker. You're mine". I talked to him, then flipped a cup over his giant body. Some of his feet stuck out. I tried to get them all in, but he kept running. Clearly this guy doesn't have a lot of experience dealing with the law.

This is what he looked like:





I named him Wildthing Willy.




I decided that we both needed some breathing room and a chance to think about how we were going to negotiate our relationship. I put him in a "time out" under the cup. Apparently, I didn't give him enough breathing room. Wildthing Willy, the hideous house centipede is dead. I thought I would come on here and apologize to god that I killed another living thing, even though it has 15 pairs of legs. I'm not sorry, but I do feel bad for the little guy. He can't help being an ugly carnivore. Rest in Peace underneath your cup Willy. You were never understood, but you were loved (probably, by another Wildthing)

No comments: