Friday, October 13, 2006

The Fair


In light of the fact that it snowed yesterday, I went into my storage boxes and pulled out my lovely blue tweed wool winter jacket. I shook it out. I pulled it on. I attempted to do up the buttons ... and like a pair of jeans from high school, I couldn't quite get them done up. My beautiful winter jacket appearently doesn't fit me right now.

This is embarassing.

I feel a bit like the rat, Templeton from Charlotte's Web. He goes to the fair, and sings this great song:

A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord orgasbord
After the crowds have ceased
Each night when the lights go out
It can be found on the ground all around
Oh, what a ratly feast!

Melon rinds and bits of hotdogs
Cookie crumbs and rotton cotton candy
Melted ice cream, mustard dripplings
Moldy goodies everywhere

Lots of popcorn, apple cores
Bananna peels and soggy sadwiches
And gobs of gorgeous gook to gobble at the fair

A fair is a veritable smorgasbord orgasbord orgasbord
After the gates are shut
Each night when the lights go out
It can be found on the ground all around
That's where a rat can glut, glut, glut, glut!

That was sort of like me this summer. I worked in the office of the CNE National Fair, and for 35 days, I worked 13 hours a day and ate nothing but the following (all of which was free)
- fudge
- deep fried perogies
- greasy chinese food
- home made potato chips
- french fries
- pulled pork sandwiches
- hamburgers
- hot dogs
- ice cream
- corndogs

Seriously - 3 times a day, my boss would take us out for more greasy food. I gained more than 10 pound over the last 6 weeks of my job ... an incredible feat, really. I feel totally unlike myself. I can't believe my coat doesn't fit. What am I going to wear to school this morning? I'm not proud to be a templeton ... but it was fun while it lasted. I clearly ate myself sick on fair food. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep warm on my walk to OISE! (and make it to the gym today).

No comments: