Monday, October 23, 2006

Best Foot Forward

School, so far, has been a totally energizing experience. I never realized how little I have in common with teenagers (seriously ... I thought that maybe I was out of touch WHILE I was in high school, but now I completely realize how hopeless I am). I gave my kids a poll today to get to know them a little bit better. Some of the answers were shocking. Some of them I didn't understand... like, literally they make no sense to me. I realize now why one teacher told me "don't ever ask high school kids to write personal journals for you - you don't want to read what they have to say". I mean, I just don't GET pop-culture anymore. All of the boys have long, greasy hair. All of the girls wear skinny jeans tucked into high top sneakers and shiny little winter jackets with their bling bling sticking out all over the place and their overdone make up and their wild hair. I had to live through the 80s once already!

Other than that, life continues to drag me by the feet, never feeling like I have enough hours in the day. I have so much I want to get done in terms of lesson planning, but I realize that I could be up until 2 in the morning cutting out pieces of fake money for the stock market game and totally burn myself out.

OH! I totally forgot the point of this post. That's how out of it I am. My mentor teacher is 30 years old, unmarried and totally has her life together. What I like best about her is that she wears the most AMAZING shoes. Totally unpractical, pointy-toed stilettos. high heeled pink pumps. Snakeskin cowboy boots. I feel like there might be hope for me. Clearly, she's making enough to be able to afford her manicures and gorgeous hair and 300 dollar shoes. It makes me excited. I will be a teaching in the lap of luxury. I will have exotic plants growing in my classroom. I will have a small class dog that will wear funny costumes and have an aggressive name like 'Brutus'. Maybe a teacher really can have it all.

(and for those of you who dropped out of teacher's college and don't want to hear about teaching any more, dammit ... well, there will be something else here posted when I catch my breath and sleep for more than 5 hours at a time)

B.

1 comment:

Stephen Johns said...

It's okay--I've accepted that we'll talk about nothing except teaching, scrap booking, the Tragically Hip and lurkey turkeys for the next eight months. Such is our relationship. Love you!