Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Why English is hard to learn

I selfishly used to think- usually in the middle of a boring spanish class-that it would be beneficial if the entire world could just learn English. I mean - I learned it without even trying! But what I now know is that English is one of the strangest and most difficult language to acquire. Take this as an example (I found it fascinating!)

Why English is Hard to Learn
1. We must polish the Polish furniture.
2. He could lead if he would get the lead out.
3. The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
4. Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.
5. A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
6. When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
7. I did not object to the object.
8. The bandage was wound around the wound.
9. The farm was used to produce produce.
10. The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
11. The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12. There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.
13. They were too close to the door to close it.
14. The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15. A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16. To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17. The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18. After a number of injections my jaw got number.
19. Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
20. I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

Wild, hey? I guess it keeps me from taking things for granted.

Have a good wednesday, all

2 comments:

gulldogg said...

Hey Bri, actually I'd have to disagree. For communication purposes, English is maybe the single easiest language to learn. The grammar is very simple compared to other languages (esp. Czech!).

But where most people run into problems is when they get into more advanced levels, with the idioms and phrasal verbs and stuff. All of my students, from the most basic to the most advanced, complain about phrasal verbs. Also, pronunciation and spelling rules are almost non-existent in English. But because of the simple grammar (easy verb conjugation, only one noun case, few irregular adverbs, etc.) English is easy to pick up. Most of my students agree. Could also explain why soooo many people worldwide learn English with mostly very little complaint.

Lainy said...

Bri, thanks for posting this. Now everyone can see that not even Czech is topsyturvy ;) but I must to agree with Jeff - phrasal verbs are nigtmares for all of us non-speaking English as a native language!