Saturday, May 06, 2006

New Job, New Bri

I just finished my first week of my summer job (for this year and potentially for next year), doing HR for a certain national fair that takes places in August and the beginning of September. Amidst the paperwork, coffee breaks and meeting about 100 new co-workers who I can't really tell apart, two things stand out to me so as being worthy of the following: Best Things About My New Job

Best Thing About My New Job #1: I have a 30,000 dollar expense budget for office supplies. Keep in mind that I have been very, VERY poor lately and haven't even had the motivation to window shop. Keep in mind how happy I am when I am let loose in the mall with a few dollars in my pocket. What does 30 grand and an empty office equal?

SHOPPING.

Not just any shopping. Catalogue shopping - the most delicious and forbidden type. I flip through the pages, mark down the order numbers ... and it magically arrives at my office later the same day. It's like communicating directly with God. I've bought pens, hole punchers, desk organizers, notebooks and whatever else I feel I might need to do my job properly. I get absolutely drunk on shopping power, and feel like it's christmas every time another box from Corporate Express arrives in my office via the cute-as-a-button high school mail boy. Right now, all I can think about is what I'm going to order on monday.

Best Thing About My New Job #2: The dusting Machine.

I don't know what to call it. I don't understand how it works. But the first thing I saw when I got my office was this: It's a duster. A duster that sprays air out a tiny hole, and is capable of dusting ANYTHING ... underneath my keyboard. In the corner of my windowsill where all the outside dirt piles up. In the little nooks and crannies of my desk that a swiffer would never dream of reaching. I am drunk on dusting power (and a bit intoxicated by the fumes).

All I have to say, after my first week on the job: bless us, everyone, who work in such amazing conditions.

No comments: