Wednesday, June 08, 2005

mis-steps in the restaurant business

Today was my first day back at work after a weekend off, my first day opening the restaurant by myself, and another average day at LS (dare I write the name? I wake up in a cold sweat thinking about my bosses somehow finding my site on google and discovering what a horrid employee I am).

Today:
- an old, hunched over lady dressed in various pieces of silk draped dramatically over her body sat in a table at the corner of the patio and declared to the three other people eating at the restaurant that today -and today only- she would be giving 1/2 price psychic readings. She drank 4 coronas and left.
- one of the awnings caved in on the patio after a downpour hit Kingston. The collected water came crashing over the side, drenching two middle-aged ladies as they were finishing their fajitas
- I broke the LS code of honour and started to hoarde mints, stuffing them in my pockets and into my mouth when the boss wasn't looking, keeping them under my tongue to disguise the fact that I was committing a sin worthy of being fired for.
- a family of 8 (6 kids!) came to the patio all the way from Bath, England. Okay, well - they came to Canada, really. But they would up on the patio. And the kids with the accents were to-freaking-die-for
- a birthday party cleared out, and as I was cleaning up the tables I found that one person had written "Chris sat here, with his boyfriend Miles" and another included (maybe Miles?) "I love men as much as I love your mom". I thought I had found the motherlode, but my shining moment was uncovering a pair of sidewalk chalk brests next to table 122. The kicker? The party was a group of people from a bank, celebrating their boss's 40th birthday. Men. Never. Grow. Up.

And now, I'm cleaning up and taking off to see a movie with friends. When two weeks ago I was feeling miserably lonely, I now couldn't be more busy. I'm hanging out with people from work, hooking up with old friends from high school, going out for manicures with some kids that I was a TA for and seeing my on-campus ladies for lunch as often as I can (and, admittedly, spending time sitting around being lazy, too). Maybe this summer won't be so bad after all? With days like this at LS to keep me busy, I hope it flies by

No comments: