Friday, January 20, 2006

It's Getting Better All the Time

And in the words of the Beatles, it can't get much worse.

Here's what I'm thinking: I hit a pivot point a few days ago where my life was concerned. I decided that instead of feeling bored, blue and uninspired, chained to a job that I disliked to the point where I would call my mom at night crying so hard that she couldn't understand me ... well, why not quit? I mean, what's stopping me from being happy? And really, why not quit right away? For those of you who think I'm too nice to stand up for myself (and yes, it's something I've been working on), I got my most threatening Bri-face on, stood in the entry way when my employer got home on Wednesday night, and told her in no uncertain terms that I would like to deliver my two weeks notice. She answered with "before you make that decision, why don't you go home and think about all the things we've done for you", and turned and walked briskly upstairs, the smell of her chanel perfume lingering behind. Then, I turned around, and threw up in the bathroom sink. No, seriously. (And besides taking me to the US Virgin Islands and ditching me with their kids in the hotel room for 190 consecutive un-paid hours while they traipsed about, what have they really done for me?)

So it turned out to be a serious stomach virus and not just a case of nerves. I've had the last two days off to recover (well, one day miserably sick and one day recovering) and I've decided that there's something to be said for wearing your boyfriend's roots sweatshirt, watching TLC on his plasma TV while curled up on the sofa with two comforters and a stuffed monkey, and drinking tea with the fireplace on. I could definitely get used to this life (thanks for convincing me to come over, Steve!) Things are really starting to look up -- I mean, consider, just CONSIDER what we all have to look forward to in the next 6 months:

1. I'm Done My Awful Job: T-363 hours. Let's just hope that it goes really, REALLY fast.

2. The Olympics: T-20 days. Yeehaw! 16 days of all-night TV marathons, hockey games on really big rinks, figure skating and snowboarding. I got to witness the Olympics first-hand when I was a 5-year-old, living in Calgary. I have a few memories - a drawing of Heidi and Howdy, the Olympic mascots, that I made in kindergarden. Watching the Russian figure skaters on our little TV while watching dinner. my grandma taking me to see the speed skaters, and stomping my feet in the ice oval because it was so cold. I love the festivities, I love the sports and I love the idea that most successful way of bringing the world together isn't through politics or business, but through sport. Let the games begin!

3. The Academy Awards: T-43 Days. I'm a movie buff, which is a legit reason for watching the Oscars; I am also, however, totally entertained by the red carpet cattle call, where actors and actresses strut their stuff in ten-thousand dollar dresses. And I will be sitting in my living room in my yoga pants, with a stained sweatshirt and unwashed hair, judging them shamelessly. It's what I do. On top of that, I was a huge fan of Brokeback Mountain and would like to see it go all the way.

4. Teacher's College Acceptance: T-70 Days. Sigh. I feel like this day may never get here. And honestly, I need it to. It will make a huge difference to know that there's something out there thfor me in September. I've been wanting to teach for a long time, and April 01 is the first step towards getting there. I've applied to Queen's and UToronto, but really, really, really want to stay where I am so that I don't have to move again (so cross your fingers for Toronto)

5. Hockey Playoffs: T-90 days. The first 81 games of the season mean only a jostling in position: once the playoffs are set, that's when the real fun starts. I've got my money on Calgary to go all the way, and am looking forward to taking a trip to the Red Mile sometime in May to cheer them on, if I should be so lucky!

Doesn't it seem wild that it's already 2006? I feel like huge chunks of my life took place without my awareness. At 22, I feel like I should have my shit together more than I currently do -- it's hard to see friends that are the same age as me zooming up the career ladder while I'm still stuck at the bottom, wondering what I'm going to do with my life and when I'm finally going to get there. I was so excited to be done university because I was eager to START everything; now, I realize that it's possible to always be waiting and looking forward for the next thing to happen. My job in the weeks coming up is to find a job that suits me, meet new people and start to really get settled in Toronto. If the last 6 months have taught me anything, it's that good things don't always happen to those who wait. Time for me to get on with it!

No comments: