Thursday, January 05, 2006

Frog Wisdom

I've always been a fan of Kermit the Frog. I love all of the muppets, but Kermit has a soft spot in my heart - he's sweet and simple and intelligent and has a lot of quiet energy. When I was younger, I definitely considered Kermit a close personal friend of mine. That's why I was thrilled when my brother got me "It's Not Easy Being Green (and other things to consider)" by Jim Henson and the muppets. It's a fantastic book and I thought I'd post some of the best quotes for any other closet muppet lovers to enjoy.

"The game on The Muppet Show was to upstage as much as you could. Jim loved upstaging and he would reward you for it. I remember during the instrumental break on a production number featuring Miss Piggy, I had my character lean over the balcony backwards and play a trumpet solo upside down, and Jim was in hystarics. it was great to have a boss who really sanctioned and encouraged anarchy."
-Dave Goelz, puppeteer

"Whenever characters become self-important or sentimental in the Muppets, there's always another character there to blow them up immediatly"
-Jim Henson

"I really do believe that all of you are at the beginning of a wonderful journey. As you start travelling down the road of life, remember this: there are never enough comfort stops. The places you're going to are never on the map. And once you get that map out, you won't be able to unfold it no matter how smart you are. So forget the map, roll down the windows, and whenever you can, have a picnic with a pig. And if you can help it, never fly as cargo"
-Kermit the Frog

Thanks Kermit - I couldn't have put it better myself

No comments: