Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Purge Purge Purge

It's clean sweep time here in the Little Calgary household. Both my housemate Kelsey and I have been motivated lately to go through our things and think about what we REALLY want. For me, the big things are my makeup, nail polish and shoes. For her, it's the three drawers of tee shirts.

Regardless, one of my favorite things to do is to de-clutter my life. I would rather 75% fewer things that I love and use all the time, than more things that simply take up space. My wardrobe is a good example. I wear the same core staples almost every week. How much "extra" do I need?

Two rules that are GREAT for purging are:
1. If it doesn't fit the vision of your home, or the vision of your life, it has to go.
2. If you haven't used, worn, loved or enjoyed it in 1 year, it has to go


This goes for clothes, collectibles, shoes, purses, old letters, memorabilia, furniture, kitchen utensils .. everything! If you don't love it, wear it or use it ... get RID OF IT!

I think a lot of people keep things because of the memory attached to them. I know that I have things that I don't really need/love, but I love the memory of how I acquired them, or the memory of who gave it to me. But I think we have to ask ourselves - is the memory more important than the item, and if it is so meaningful to us, why not display or use it?

I dunno. I've always been a "clean sweeper" and go through my papers, letters and clothes at least once every six months. It feels SO good to open my closet or my drawers and see only things that I want to be there.

okay, I'll get off my soap box. I have a sock drawer to go through!

No comments: