Thursday, May 26, 2005

wishing I had more rock n' roll fun

It's a good summer to be a music fan. Despite the fact that I missed both Weezer and Jimmy Chamberlin playing live this spring (the first due to an extraordinarily high price for a scalped single, the second due to bad timing), I'm scheduled to see Oasis, Sleater-Kinney, Pearl Jam and U2 in the next four months, and if I had the money, I would be buying tickets to the following acts without hesitation:

- The Rolling Stones (playing in the Skydome, with an as-of-yet-unnamed opening act that'll have to meet or exceed the standard set by either Gordon Downey or Eddie Vedder)
- Billy Corgan (playing music from his solo album, released next month. Is it worth the risk, given that the Smashing Pumpkins defined my musical existence from 1995-1998?)
- Ben Folds (My favorite artist .. or at least in heavy rotation in the top 5, along with the Pumpkins, Green Day, the Stones, Oasis, U2, Norah Jones, Pearl Jam and the Beatles)
- Beck (okay - this one is give or take, but I'd love to say that I witnessed the live performance of the man responsible for Odelay)
- Jann Arden (Sigh. I adore her - it's one of my more guily pleasures. But not 49.90+service charges guilty)
- Paul McCartney (again, enough said. This one defies reasoning, even if the ticket prices are through the roof)

Like - how does this happen? Sure, there's lots to do in Toronto, but when said FAVORITE MUSICAL ARTISTS OF ALL TIME are ALL coming this summer, how do I choose? If I played my cards right, the only member of my top ten left to see would be Norah Jones. The truth is, as much as I should be pumped to see Oasis, U2 and Pearl Jam, I'm in hardcore moping mode. Not so much about the smaller shows, but definitely about the Stones tour - I've got a feeling that even without officially announcing it, there's a sendoff on the horizon. And in these last chance situations, we always regret that which we did not do. If only I could put together money -any money- in time to buy the tickets.

There - I'm done whining. And if you happen to reside in a cardboard box on University, I'm incredibly sorry.

No comments: