Saturday, May 14, 2005

a true teenage wasteland

Let me just reiterate before I launch into my latest rant, that you would be hard pressed to find a bigger slurpee fan in all of Kingston, nay- all of Ontario- than me. My high school was a stone's throw from a 7-11 and I would often stop there at lunch and after school. I was the Calgary Soccer Centre's biggest concession customer, etc, etc.

But that doesn't make me a blind follower, like the girl who works at my restaurant and will purchase and wear ANYTHING that comes from American Eagle, even if it is objectively ugly (hello - frilly mini skirts do NOT look good on people over the age of 14). But I digress. The point is, Macs has outdone themselves. If you trust yourself not to vomit, take a look at this advert for their new slurpee flavour and let me know if there is anything that would make you LESS sick to your stomach.

I understand the good intentions behind creative marketing. Why call it "7-UP grapefruit" when you can call it "Pink Pucker"? Even the "Swamp Water" option (which apparently is the Lime Flavour, although I always thought it was a mix of Orange Crush and Rootbeer), is not entirely unappetizing. But bloody zit? Associating an edible product with the most disgusting body function that I can think of is a sure fire way to make people throw up into their mouths, not to create a strong, positive impression.

If you're brave enough - go and check it out. Let me know what you think. In my opinion, there had to be something better to name a Cherry-Coke slurpee. But what do I know? I'm just a lonesome ranter.

No comments: