Tuesday, September 12, 2006

9/12

What happened the day after 9/11?

It's a topic that gets talked about and talked about and talked about. No one can say we're flogging a dead horse, because that wouldn't be sensitive (and they're right). But there's only so much that we can say about something for which no words exist.

I was in my 'drama for teachers' class this afternoon and we were discussing our thoughts on 9/11, where we were when it happened, etc. A bunch of people agreed that they refused to watch the 9/11 movies because it would be American propaganda, that no one should be allowed to make a profit off of such a tragic event. People have good reasons not to go and see the movies ... but I disagree completely.

One of the strongest tools that people to heal and grieve and memorialize tragedy (both personal, and in this case, international) is through ritual and art. Children draw pictures. We hold remembrance day assemblies. We attend funerals. We make scrapbooks. We recite poetry. We gather together in a public way and share our grief.

Theatre (which is my real interest in the matter) has been used as a way of sharing and expressing sorrow since its earliest roots in tribal ritual. We recreate pain to share it. We represent events in a real and safe way. We create something tangible out of our fears. Who is to say that making movies is not rooted in the same instinctive function?

I'm not saying that the 9/11 movies are good. But I have to defend our right to create art out of tragedy. A movie like WTC or United 73 is someones way of saying "this happened. This affected us and changed us and changed our world" It creates a collective outlet and a communal memory of an event. It gives meaning to something that is destructive. It allows us to feel.

This is starting to get wordy and I'm sorry. I guess it's something that I believe strongly in and I hope I've articulated it in a way that makes sense. I watched United 73 with steve a few nights ago and although it was hard to watch, I felt like it was an important part of my own healing. There was so much sincerity in it. I have a lot of respect for that.

I wish I could have said all of this in class.

No comments: