Friday, February 17, 2006

You Learn Something New Every Day

It's funny - I don't think that adults like to be bad at things. When you're a kid, you are learning something new virtually every day. Over my childhood career, I took lessons in piano, gymnastics, singing, dance, figure skating, soccer, swimming, track and field - and I was horrible at all of them when I started out. This didn't bother me. But getting an adult to try a new sport is almost impossible; we like to be good at things as soon as we begin them and are likely to quit something if we experience frustration with it.

I wonder what we're so scared of. I have decided to take up new skills - not being in school has made me feel as though I need to coordinate my own learning, even if it is less academic in nature. It's been a long time since I've been brave enough to take up a new sport or learn a new skill, so this year, my goal is to learn how to do 5 new things. So far (and remember, it is only February!) I've learned how to knit. In fact, my first project is done: I knit a small blue and white scarf for Steve's stuffed monkey Fat Guts:

Now, I'm starting to read up on web design. I have rudimentary HTML knowledge (enough to tweak this page to my liking, for example), but I'd like to become more comfortable with writing CSS (cascading style sheet) code, instead of simple HTML tags. After that, I want to learn how to garden, how to cook (properly), how to play squash and how to run properly - it would be great to train for a 5K. I want to learn how to do calligraphy and how to snowboard (maybe next winter). In short, I don't want to stop learning. I have such a huge capacity for new skils and experiences - all I have to do is be prepared to suck at first. If I'm okay with my own total mediocracy, the only thing I can do is improve. I just keep reminding myself, if a four-year-old can keep on getting back up after he falls off his bike, I certainly can too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't learned anything new in 3 years, however i am quite dumb!

Cest Moi - Steph said...

My goodness I miss you. I forgot how you help me find those small life inspirations and you are the only one that every let me enjoy them too.

six2six said...

great introspective writing! i've been out of school for close to four years now and am having feelings of stagnation as well. also been trying to learn how to knit, alas, have not yet succeeded to do more than a smallish potholder-like thingie.