Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Thoughts On Bettys

Snowboarders are undeniably very, very cool. When the snowboarders are girls, they're out of this world. I'll admit it - I'm totally useless on a snowboard and therefore jealous of anyone who can even make it down the bunny run without falling on their bum. The coolest girl in my high school was named Audrea - she had handwriting like a mom, so she always used to write us notes to get out of class for doctor's appointments. She was also a snowboarder, and seemed to carry her coolness around her without even trying. I was very, very jealous of Audrea.

Today, the US women devoured the competition, literally, in the half-pipe event, placing 1st, 2nd and 4th. The gold medal winner was a 17-year-old california poster girl named Hannah Tekes; blond, freckled and tearing up the half pipe. I'm such a loser that I could barely stand to watch it. But then (because I was watching NBC) Hannah gave an interview, and you'll never believe what came out of her mouth:

"Oh my god, that was wicked! I came here and the whole week has been totally chill, and then I just like had an awesome run and was way relaxed and, like, into my groove, y'know? That was, like, the most incredible rush. And my mom is here and she's like, beside herself and I'm just like totally out of it. Chill"

And then I was marginally less jealous. Becuase when she's 21 and retired from snowboarding with busted knees, who's going to teach her how to read?

Okay, that was mean. Hannah - I'm happy for you, genuinely. I just can't believe how stereotypical you are. I've learned two things from psychology this week: stereotypes exist for a reason, and there are no jokes in the unconscience (which I'll get to later).

It's 4:24am and I'm watching Olympic reruns. I don't know what else to say :D
-Bri

No comments: